The U.S. Capitol is one of #MyMallMemories

Photo by Joe Newman

This weekend marks the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington, the event in 1964 where Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. moved a nation with his momentous “I have a dream” speech on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. It is one of the more famous moments to have taken place on the National Mall.

There’s almost always some anniversary of an important historic event happening on the mall, which during its two centuries of existence has seen countless rallies, protests, celebrations and presidential inaugurations. That’s a lot of memories for a lot of people. And the Trust for the National Mall, the non-profit organization that raises money to restore and improve the National Mall, wants people to share their favorite memories on Facebook in its #MyMallMemories photo contest.

There’s not any big prizes for the winner but just by entering, you can feel good about helping raise awareness about a true national treasure. I bet 99 percent of the millions of tourists who come to D.C. each year spend at least some time on the National Mall. And the other 1 percent? WTF are they doing?

Anyways, just for kicks, I entered the photo of the U.S. Capitol at sunrise at the top of this post (this is a multi-exposure composite made from a single RAW file). I didn’t realize that it was the second to last day to enter. If you’ve got a minute, do a brother a favor and give it a vote by going here and clicking the “vote” button.

Better yet, enter your own photo but do it by Friday. And even better, throw a couple dollars towards the National Mall while you’re at it. “America’s Front Yard” ¬†could really use our support. Click here to contribute to the Trust for the National Mall.

Photo of the U.S. Capitol at sunrise by Joe Newman.

Joe Newman

I'm Joe Newman, multi-media story teller, non-profit do-gooder, international street photographer, serious poker player, intrepid traveler. Bourbon drinker.

  • Leigh Powell Hines @Hinessightblog

    August 25, 2013 at 1:17 pm

    I just pinned this. Great photo. Did you win? I went to vote and voting had ended, but your photo appeared to be the winner.

    • Joe Newman

      August 25, 2013 at 7:16 pm

      Thanks, Leigh! It finished in 5th place.